Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Blog of My Weight Loss Journey

I am currently the heaviest I have been... I think in my entire life. Right now I weigh 240 and I am only 5'4" tall. This combination throws my BMI into the obese end of the pool. While I am not nearly as bad off as some people, I want to be at a healthy weight. I find myself saying, "I want to be thin/ skinny again" but that statement does not adequately describe just what I want to accomplish.

Some of my long term goals are:

  • I want to be at a healthy weight.
  • I want to be able to swim 30 laps in the pool and not feel tired.
  • I want to complete my first running 5k.
  • I want to be able to go on a 50 mile bike ride. 


Some more immediate and short term goals are:

  • I want to be able to walk up two flights of stairs without my heart trying to jump out of my chest or my lungs shutting down. 
  • I want to be able to swim one full lap (down and back) of a front crawl and backstroke in the pool without being exhausted.
  • I want to be able to walk at a 3.0 mph pace for 5 straight minutes and have the stamina for another 5 minutes.
  • I want to be able to do a 10 mile bike ride and still have the energy to do more. 


I personally understand that muscle does weigh more than fat, however muscle takes up less space than fat.


For that reason, I am not so focused on reaching a completely specific weight. I do have an approximate goal; but if I am feeling good, able to fit into the clothes that I want to, and am healthy... that is what is important. According to the BMI index for my height, a weight of between 120 and 130 is the normal/ healthy range. I am hoping to eventually get to around 130. That weight would mean a 110lb weight loss which is nearly half of my current body weight.

I also know that weight loss will definitely take time. It will take determination. It will take perseverance when things seem tough. I MUST stick with it. 


I also need to work towards changing my life. 
  • If things are close, I will get out and walk or ride my bike whenever possible. 
  • I will to eat right.
  • I will go to the gym everyday (unless my icky girly bit issue days keep me from that).
  • I will participate in fitness classes.
  • I will work with a personal trainer and learn how to use the different weight machines. 
  • I will keep track of everything I eat, how much I drink, and how much I exercise.


On August 1st (unless girly bit issues delay this goal), I will go to the local YMCA and join the gym.

Please wish me luck and check back to see my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment